October 1853 – Fr. Crooke rented a building on the corner of Church and Chemeketa Street. This served as the Church until 1864.
1858– Lot 6 and 7 on Block 75 purchased. $100.00.
1864 – 1st Catholic Church dedicated April 10th. A wooden building valued at $3000.00. It was capable of seating 300 people. It sat on a slight rise of ground called “Piety Hill”. It was named St. John’s Church.
1863 – 1st Sisters (of the Holy Names) arrived. They bought the building being rented for church services and it became “Sacred Heart Convent”. On September 7th 1863, the Academy opened with 80 students. Mass was celebrated here until the Church was dedicated April 10, 1864.
1865– Sisters purchased 6 lots next to St. John’s Church to build a new Academy.
1935 – 1st Graduation from old “Sacred Heart Academy.”
1872 – Cornerstone laid for new “Sacred Heart Academy.” The building was on the corner of Center and Cottage Streets.
March 1873 – New Academy occupied. Quote: “It was one of early Salem’s most impressive structures.
1889 – New Church dedicated March 24, 1889. It was on the corner of Chemeketa and Cottage Streets. Renamed St. Joseph Church since Oregon City had St. John’s Church. This Church lasted until the present Church was dedicated March 19, 1953.
1920 – The Parish Hall/Gym was built sometime in 1920.
1935– Church of 1889 renovated inside and outside (160 ft. steeple removed and replaced
by a shorter one). Parish Hall updated inside.
1941 – Six room Classroom building dedicated on Winter Street side of block. Three classrooms were added on the south end of the school in 1950.
1953 – Present Church dedicated.
1955 – Present Rectory and present Gym built.
1957 – Bell Tower added to present Church with much controversy from the City due to the height of the structure.
1959– Annex built. This was two classrooms and a furnace/storage room. This was torn down in 1998.
1971– Sacred Heart Academy torn down in June. Purchased from the Sisters by the Parish for $190,000.00.
1998 – Two new classrooms and a new library were made in the remodeling of the school and construction of the Parish Center.
1999 – Completion of the Parish Center.
2001 – Dedication of the Adoration Chapel.